It is gospel truth that one great indicator of a rich culture is the kind of food in that particular country. Here in the Philippines, there is an abundance of natural resources where we can get food. We have fertile and very rich soil ideal for growing crops and the country is surrounded by oceans filled with fresh and authentic seafood. There is no wonder food is the most essential part of our culture.
So, we came up with a list of the top 10 dishes that define Filipino cuisine, an authentic and world-class list of foods have has put Philippines in the world map.
- Adobo – Whether it’s pork, chicken, or fish, Adobo has been one of the most famous dishes who has captured not just the hearts of the locals but also the foreigners who have tasted it. This well-known dish is usually made of chicken or pork meat, soy sauce, vinegar, and some herbs and spices.
- Sisig – This dish is made with pork’s cheeks, head, and liver garnished with spices and mayonnaise then served in a sizzling plate. Although it is better accompanied with beer during drinking sessions, this can still be a great viand especially with a hot steamy rice!
- Chicken Inasal – Filipinos love no other grilled chicken but Inasal. This famous dish has been the most favorite fiesta mainstay and has always been the star of lunch or dinner aside from Lechon. It is sometimes served with delicious gravy or home-made spicy sauce and of course, it is best partnered with white rice and your favorite soda.
- Kare-Kare – According to CNN, this stew of oxtail has the most delicious sauce made from ground toasted rice and crushed peanuts. Aside from that, Kare-kare is also healthy as it is loaded with lots of vegetables. What’s more addicting about this dish? It tastes so good with steamed rice and bagoong or the Filipinos’ version of shrimp paste.
- Sinigang – It’s the cold season again and what’s the best dish to have in your dining table in this kind of weather? Sinigang of course! This yummy soup of either pork, shrimp or fish with various veggies like kangkong leaves, tomatoes, and chopped radish. This dish is definitely a favorite of every household in the Philippines.
Want a mouthful of these delicious and authentic Filipino dishes? Dine at APU Restaurant and enjoy Filipino fine dining at its best. We’re open until 12 midnight! Visit us at the City of Dreams in Pasay.